Mentor Guidelines for Helping Our Youth
Below is a list of services that mentors can provide to our youth to help them successfully transition into independence and adulthood
- Provide transportation to activities, church, school, etc.
- Show support through listening and understanding
- Encourage extracurricular activities
- Take them out places (shopping, out to eat, bowling, etc.)
- Provide wisdom and life lessons
- Help with education
- Include in family meals
- Understand what it is like to be a teenager
- Help with independent living skills (how to budget, do taxes, do laundry, grocery shop, etc.)
- Assist with setting up a bank account (savings and/or checking)
- Assist with filling out job applications
- Help find or provide housing
- Help with cell phone plan
- Show love – physical and emotional
- Be genuine
- Be a role model
- Give time to build a relationship and to build trust
- Be encouraging
- Be reliable
- Know their likes, wants, and needs. Just know them!
Of course, this is a small list compared to all that the youth need. Feel free to customize the list to fit the child that you are connecting with. Be positive! You play an important role in enriching their future.